Letters of complaint usually include the following stages:
- Problem – cause and effect
- Warning (optional)
This section describes the situation; e.g.
- I am writing to inform you that the goods we ordered from your company have not been supplied correctly.
- I attended your exhibition Sound Systems 2012 at the Fortune Hotel (22-25 January) and found it informative and interesting. Unfortunately, my enjoyment of the event was spoiled by a number of organisational problems.
- I am a shareholder of Sunshine Bank and I am very concerned regarding recent newspaper reports on the financial situation of the bank. Your company is listed as the auditor in the latest annual report of the bank, so I am writing to you to ask for an explanation of the following issues.
- I am writing to inform you of my dissatisfaction with the food and drinks at the ‘European Restaurant’ on 18 January this year.
- On 4 December 2012 we placed an order with your firm for 12,000 ultra super long-life batteries. The consignment arrived yesterday but contained only 1,200 batteries.
- Firstly, I had difficulty in registering to attend the event. You set up an on-line registration facility, but I found the facility totally unworkable.
- You sent us an invoice for $10,532, but did not deduct our usual 10% discount.
- We have found 16 spelling errors and 2 mis-labelled diagrams in the sample book.
- This error put our firm in a difficult position, as we had to make some emergency purchases to fulfil our commitments to all our customers. This caused us considerable inconvenience.
- Even after spending several wasted hours trying to register in this way, the computer would not accept my application.
- I am therefore returning the invoice to you for correction.
- This large number of errors is unacceptable to our customers, and we are therefore unable to sell these books.
- I am writing to ask you to please make up the shortfall immediately and to ensure that such errors do not happen again.
- Could I please ask you to look into these matters.
- Please send us a corrected invoice for $9,479
- I enclose a copy of the book with the errors highlighted. Please re-print the book and send it to us by next Friday.
- Otherwise, we may have to look elsewhere for our supplies.
- I’m afraid that if these conditions are not met, we may be forced to take legal action.
- If the outstanding fees are not paid by Thursday, 20 December 2012, you will incur a 10% late payment fee.
- I look forward to receiving your explanation of these matters.
- I look forward to receiving your payment.
- I look forward to hearing from you shortly.